You might remember me saying here in my #100happydays post that there were 2 days of celebrating... what were we celebrating?
John got a new job!
It was a few weeks of stress though because he turned down the new job, decided to stay at his current job, and changed his mind 3 other times since those celebrations....
Yes, you read that right.
BUT, he eventually decided to take the new job and he started this week!
It was such a tough decision for both of us. How do you leave a company you've been with 7 years? We had to look at the big picture. Even though the commute will be longer for him, this is ultimately what was best for him.
So, here's what kind of went down. (I really am only documenting this for our sakes to remember this time in our lives).
We started looking at building a house back in June. We really wanted to build in Katy because we live close to their now, it's where his family lives, it's where John spent his late childhood until he went off to college and almost all of our friends live in that area. We fell in love with a neighborhood and fell in love with a floor plan so we decided to go ahead and get a realtor and start negotiating prices. Right in the middle of the process, John got the job offer with the new company. The commute wouldn't be bad from our current house, but from the new neighborhood in Katy, it would be at a minimum 50 minutes, but with traffic you're looking more like an hour or more. I was leaving to go to Puerto Vallarta and John was still negotiating money with the new company so we put everything on hold with the house.
The new company gave him the money he felt like would be worth it to move so he accepted the position and we decided to just stay in our house until next year and he would re-evaluate the situation and see if there were somewhere else closer to the job we would want to move.
He went in to his boss to put in his notice on Friday and surprisingly he wasn't trying to get him to stay or anything so he felt like this was the best decision and it all worked out perfectly. Monday he walked back in the office and the CFO of the company and his boss really were pushing for him to stay and promising him things they would do to make it better.
Alot of tears and a long story later, he decided to stay at GE. We started looking at houses again and got in to the negotiations process again and then the bosses couldn't really follow through with some of their offers, atleast not now. John really felt like he made the wrong decision after this.
He went back to the new company, apologized, and they said the offer was still open. So, he accepted and turned in his notice again at GE. He finished his 2 weeks at GE, took a week off and then started his new job this Monday.
So, what do we do about the house?? John decided that the commute would be worth it to live in the area that we really want to live in. He's been lucky the past 7 years with a 15 minute commute. Most people in Houston commute an hour or more so he can do it too. If we moved closer to the new job, we would be in an area we know nothing about, we wouldn't see our friends on the whim like we can now and when kids come, it would be harder for us to see his parents and to have help from them.
So, after all the drama, tears and confusion, John got a new job AND we signed a contract to build our first house together in Katy.
I will have a whole post dedicated to the new house process so far so stay tuned for that.
This whole process really tested our relationship. There were days we went to bed angry and both in tears just because of all the stress. But it all worked out, our relationship is stronger because of it and so many good things came out of it. :)